RE: Lap splices in retaining wall

Don,

Don’t know the bar sizes in question, but with a 5ft high retaining wall wouldn’t thing they’re too big. How about bar couplers? Are they permitted by local code? With smaller bar diameters (#16, #19, #22) the coupler should fit within the voids in the CMU and allow for concrete/mortar filling. If so, they might be a feasible, albeit expensive alternative to chopping/drilling the footing or welding the dowels. Most if not all bar couplers will be able to develop 125% of the bar yield.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tom

Thomas J. Cummings, PE

Manager - Bridge Design Practice

Gannett Fleming Engineers and Architects, P.C.

One Penn Plaza, Suite 2222

250 West 34th Street

New York, NY 10119

P:  (212) 967-9833 Ext. 5244