Re: Lap splices in retaining wall

Don,
You have had responses to your problem. From a responsibility point of view, I would insist on the sub-contractor (it was his mistake) hiring an engineer to provide a suggested solution in writing so that it takes some of liability off the SER and Archie.
Gary

Donald Bruckman wrote:

I got trouble. I need advice.

I have this project in NoCal. Big box shopping center. Here’s the problem.

In a 5 foot deep loading dock area, I have perimeter retaining walls. Long story short, the concrete sub poured the footings too thick, (top of footing too high) and now the lap splices for the masonry portion of the retaining wall are insufficient.

I suggested to the SE that we simply dowel the masonry steel into the top of the footing to regain the lap distance. Somehow, 10 days later, (and I might add, incredibly, after explaining that I didn’t think butt welding new steel onto the ends of the embedded A615 was such a good idea), I still have no answer from the Architect or engineer.

Is there some reason why my suggestion would not fix the problem?

Sincerely Yours,

Lost my Heart, (and my pretty soon my O&P) in San Francisco

Don