Shear Plate connection drag capacity

Hi Listers
I am working on a single story wood framed building with a moment frame and steel beam line in the center of it.  I need to connect a w12x40 beam to the column of a moment frame(the w12x40 is not part of the moment frame).  The w12x40 is a drag member with a 15k tension/compression force plus a 30k gravity load.  I asked the AISC steel guys and they said to use a double angle shear plate ( a 3 bolt connection) without any reasoning to tell me how they determined the tension/compression capacity was calculated or adequate. I can't find reference to this in any steel book I have.  What is common for this connection?

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering
Bishop CA