From: Mark Remmetter [mailto:MarkR(--nospam--at)sai-engineers.com]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 11:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Tilt-Panel Bottom Connections

Jake,

ACI addresses this issue in section 16.5.1.3 (b)...Provide a minimum of two ties per panel with a nominal tensile strength of not less than 10,000 pounds per tie.  ACI 16.5.1.3 (c) goes on to say that this tie is permitted to be anchored into an appropriately reinforced concrete floor slab on grade when design forces result in no tension at the panel base.

When there is no tension at the panel base, the ties onto the floor slab can be used to transfer in-plane shear forces from the panel into the slab on grade.

TCA supports the ACI code regarding the panel base connection, in fact several TCA members were instrumental in getting this provision added to the ACI code.

Mark E. Remmetter, P.E.
Vice President, Engineering
Steinbicker & Associates, Inc.