RE: Cold weather welding

Dave,

I agree with Bill, and add:

This appears to be a situation where a specialized welding engineer and metallurgist should be involved, and not simply left in the hands of structural engineers and codes of practice.

Don’t forget that the rate of cooling determines the microstructures which are developed in the steel, and these affect the strength, ductility and notch toughness of the steel in the vicinity of the welded joint. The rate of cooling therefore needs to be controlled. Irrespective of any welding the low temperatures are also going to affect the serviceability and strength of the steel, the possibility of brittle fracture needs to be considered and guarded against.

Regards

Steven CONRAD Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Roy Harrison & Associates