From: "Pinyon Engineering"
Subject: Shear Plate connection drag capacity

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C75426.209E6390

Hi Listers
I am working on a single story wood framed building with a moment frame =
and steel beam line in the center of it. I need to connect a w12x40 =
beam to the column of a moment frame(the w12x40 is not part of the =
moment frame). The w12x40 is a drag member with a 15k =
tension/compression force plus a 30k gravity load. I asked the AISC =
steel guys and they said to use a double angle shear plate ( a 3 bolt =
connection) without any reasoning to tell me how they determined the =
tension/compression capacity was calculated or adequate. I can't find =
reference to this in any steel book I have. What is common for this =
connection?

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering
Bishop CA