==================
From: "Alexander \(Sasha\) Itsekson" <sasha(--nospam--at)enginious-structures.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7577C.E7D127A1

Dear fellow engineers,

I am working on the seismic upgrade o the soft story wood building.  It
is fairly large 130x130 three story, 100 year wood framed building.
There are two elevations of open fronts on the West and North sides of
the buildings that we are bracing with 2 bays of moment frames.  The
owner did not want to use braced frames and even with grade beam fixing
the bottom of the columns we are ending up with pretty hefty W27
sections for beams and columns.  Affecting more stores by adding more
bays is not feasible.  In the past when we had to use anything bigger
than W14 (I think that biggest we used was a W18 column) we specified
Ordinary moment frame per FEMA or intermediate moment frames per CBC
with all the special detailing around backup bars and access holes.
Here are my questions:

1. Would that still applicable when using much bigger sections such as
W27?

2. I am not up on all the recent research on steel moment frames, but
can we still use the rigid Column Tree design as described for example
in Structural Steel Educational Council Steel Tips
http://www.steeltips.org/steeltips/index.php - as of 04.1997?

Thank you very much,

Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson, SE
Enginious Structures, Inc.