From: Brian [mailto:bsh117(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 4:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: single plate connection

Hello all!

I was wondering if someone out there could help me
compare the tables for a single plate shear connection
in the 1989 ASD code vs the 2005 manual.

I'm looking at a 4 bolt connection with A325N bolts,
spaced at 3"oc.  the plate is 3/8" thick x 12" long
and the distance from the weld to the bolt group is
less than 3".

Per the ASD Manual, table X-C, the allowable shear is
26.1 kips.

Per the 2005 Manual, table 10-9a, the allowable shear
is 42.4 kips.

Am I seeing this correctly?  Could someone please
point out what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,
Brian