From: Ed Najjarine, SE [mailto:en(--nospam--at)najjarinestructures.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 11:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Dissimilar Metal Welding Question

Fellow Engineers, a dissimilar metals welding question.

I have a case where a 3/8" thk Stainless Steel Pipe to be welded to an A572 (50 ksi) steel beam, and the ANSI/AWS D1.6 mentions that welding between austenitic stainless steel and carbon/low alloy steel should not be done without the consideration of the differences in their coefficients of thermal expansion.

When calculating the expansion stress due to the difference in their coefficients of thermal expansion, I get approximately 3 ksi.

So, beside designing the weld for an additional 3 ksi, is there any other factors that we should consider?

Your comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Ed Najjarine, SE
Irvine, CA