Re: Silage

The Midwest Plan Service publication Structures and Environment Handbook, MWPS-1 10th edition, 1980 says that the National Silo Association recommends an Equivalent Fluid Density of 20 psf for designing silos containing corn silage at 68%-72% moisture content. The NSA recommends that a maximum density , 65 pcf, and a minimum angle of internam friction, 32 degrees, be used in Rankine's equation to obtain an Equivalent Fluid Density of 20 pcf/ft.

Roger Davis
Architect

Gary Loomis <gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com> wrote:
I have been asked to design a divider wall in a horizontal silo. Any
ideas as to the lateral pressure from corn or hay silage? The height of
the wall is 18'. The length of the wall is 100 feet.

Gary Loomis, PE
Master Engineers And Designers, Inc.

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org