Re: Allowable Out-of-Plane Lateral Deflections of Masonry Veneers

Matthew,

My best guess is that the lateral deflection of the veneer is considered a
servicability issues and not a life safety issue and as such the code does
not address it.  This does not completely make sense to me because in
reality the vertical deflection limit of L/600 or .3" is basically also a
servicability issue with little impact on life safety (not to mention that
there are other areas in general were the codes have gone beyond life
safety).

I will see if someone I know has a better answer for you.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI