Engineers needed!

February 23, 2007

Re: Coachella Valley (Palm Springs California) Engineers needed

To all;

If you know of any engineers or graduates who are considering relocating to the Palm Springs area (or would consider it), please let me know. There is a lot of work here, but to be honest, the jobs are mostly the small projects that we feel responsible to take. There are a lot of people who need help as the city’s require that they hire an engineer for whatever project they have that must comply with code. Lately, I have been receiving more than six calls a day and I have to either refer to others (only to find that this is where they found me) or turn the projects down. I try to help by juggling in as much as I can, but I don’t want to let my clients down that I have already contracted with.

I would be willing to help mentor young engineers who are willing to take a chance and relocate to this area. Unlike other areas, we are growing fast – especially for the Baby Boomers who are buying a second home or selling their homes to retire to this area. Palm Springs is a vacation area. The summers are hot – well over 110 degress and the winter nights can drop into the upper 30’s but the average temperature is between 70 and 100 dry desert degrees.

As a vacation resort area, more people are moving here full time. If you take a look at my Windows Live web page listed below, you can see some of the more elaborate custom homes. It is also the center for annual golf and tennis and is a growing center for art and music festivals.

The standard of living is rising and the average home is now over $400K in the area depending on where you live. The Palm Springs area also services most of Imperial County to the Arizona border and north to Blythe. The nearest large city where engineering firms are located is in Riverside or San Bernardino – about sixty miles east of here. The high desert consists of Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley along with the Morongo Basin. There are no engineering firms in this area that I am aware off other than geotechnical or soils firms.

The majority of homes are limited to one story in order to preserve the mountain view that exists all around us. The closest national park is Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea. Land cost and home prices reduce as you move further east and south toward the Salton Sea area. East of Coachella and Indio is the desert – nearly 60 miles of sand and cactus. There is a lot of expansion but most of the work lately is remodels and upgrades to older homes constructed in the 60’s and later.

If you are interested, please contact me at the e-mail listed below. I can only recommend those willing to relocate as we need engineers able to coordinate with construction projects and observation rules.

Again, I am speaking for myself and not for the other firms in the area. Most of the people who call are critical of the fact that they try to reach other firms and do not receive return calls. I can understand this as half the day would be spent on the phone – still I feel it is my responsibility to respond to those who call even if I can not help them. I do have a few very good designers if you have a client that wants to design and build.

Thanks in advance for anyone considering this area – I think it is a great place to live and growing very fast.

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/07)

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.