Re: Slab Transition Detail

I assume you're stuck with the aluminum wheels?

What are the wheel loads?   Frequency of travel?

This could be a real problem......I know of situation where a slab was designed for "forklift traffic".

Unfortunately the designer thought "pneumatic tires" but these were little warehouse forks with rubber over steel wheels....add to this some slab curl at construction joints and you wound up with forks destroying the slab at these joints   :(

You are wise to think about this now but with more details I really can't provide much help.

If the carts / wheels need a steel wear surface, why are they ever leaving the steel?

Any imperfections will be magnified as the load pounds the transition......compliant materials are your friend but the load has to get onto the concrete eventually.

Maybe design it with maint / replacement in mind?  Like the rubber stuff at street / railroad intersections?

CalTrans' info about bridge joints might be of some use.

>>> Would chamfering the edge of the plate help at all?<<<<,

Yes but again you're transitioning from a damage tolerant, strong, ductile material to concrete (all its not)

I'd warn them that stiff metal wheels are going to be hard on the concrete at the transitions.

cheers
Bob