RE: Slab Transition Detail

Any movement of the plate or even the slightest bump, be it tooled joint or mismatch of top of concrete and top of plate will inevitably show up in the concrete and tend to beat up the concrete edge.  My suggestion would be to deepen the edge of concrete and embed a steel angle with a few tieback studs into the concrete to anchor it to the slab, (think: truck dock edge, for instance).  This will then get you a steel to steel intersection at the plate edge.

From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 2:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Slab Transition Detail

I have a condition where a steel plate will be embedded in a concrete slab.  The plate will be about 1/2” thick and provide a hard wearing surface for solid aluminum wheels on a cart hauling heavy equipment.  The dimensions are 10 ft. x 4 ft.

I am wondering about the edge condition of the plate and concrete.  The wheels will roll over the edge from concrete to steel.  Should this be given special consideration?  Would there be a tendency of the concrete to spall around the edge?  Should a joint be put around the edge and filled with semi rigid epoxy filler? Would that still tend to spall from the wheel load?  Would chamfering the edge of the plate help at all?

Thanks for your help.

Rich