Re: Shear Wall: GWB on Metal Studs

Bill-

I have tested GWB as well as plywood on steel studs.  Neither behaves the same on steel studs as it does on 2x4 framing.

I would say that GWB is good for ~50 to 80 plf (closer to 50).

I hope your demand is low, sheathing (of any kind) on steel studs develops very pinched hystersesis loops.....almost to the point fo a dead band (+/- small displacements  about zero)

My comment for years has been "gypboard can work as long as the demands are very low"

Can you throw some OSB or plywood on the top side of your "self-supporting box" ?  It will go a long way towards maintaining
the integrity of your "self-supporting box"