RE: SLAB ON GROUND CONTROL JOINT

Rich,

For that depth, you will need a backer rod, which is placed in the joint first and provides a “foundation” for the joint sealant to be poured against. I have copied a typical spec for the backer material:

1.0              JOINT-SEALANT BACKER MATERIALS

1.1              General:  Provide joint-sealant backer materials that are nonstaining; are compatible with joint substrates, sealants, primers, and other joint fillers; and are approved for applications indicated by joint-sealant manufacturer based on field experience and laboratory testing.

1.2              Round Backer Rods for Cold- and Hot-Applied Sealants:  ASTM D 5249, Type 1, of diameter and density required to control sealant depth and prevent bottom-side adhesion of sealant.

1.3              Backer Strips for Cold- and Hot-Applied Sealants:  ASTM D 5249; Type 2; of thickness and width required to control sealant depth, prevent bottom-side adhesion of sealant, and fill remainder of joint opening under sealant.

Round Backer Rods for Cold-Applied Sealants:  ASTM D 5249, Type 3, of diameter and density required to control sealant depth and prevent bottom-side adhesion of sealant

Hope this helps,

Randall H. Collier, P.E.