From: Rich Lewis
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 07:53
Subject: SLAB ON GROUND CONTROL JOINT

I have a 12? thick slab on ground.  I?m wondering how deep the saw cut joints should be.  ACI 302.1R-04 ?Guide to Concrete Floor & Slab Construction? does not have a recommended saw cut depth.  I have a 1989 version of the same standard where the recommended cut depth is 1/4 the slab thickness.  In this case the cut is 3? deep.  The joint then needs to be filled with a semi-rigid joint filler.  The tables I see for joint filler only go up to a joint depth of 1.75 inches.   Is anyone aware of other recommendations for shrinkage control joint depth for thick slab?

Thanks for your help.

Rich