RE: Wood trusses over pool

I am monitoring the humidity in the attic space over the next couple of weeks to see if I can document the elevated humidity levels. As I mentioned earlier, the building is newly in service and this issue does not pose a safety concern at this early stage.

There are no wall or floor cracks, only a separation of the gypsum board ceiling at the perimeter wall and a ceiling crack along one of the hip girders.

I will review the trusses for deflection issues as part of my assessment, however, since the trusses have been lightly and statically loaded while the cracking is occurring I’m not inclined to suspect design deflection issues.

For retrofit considerations I am wondering if there are any suggestions as to how to vapor-proof the ceiling. The trusses are not treated and will not endure wet service conditions.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603