Re: Wood trusses over pool

Christopher-

Since you're the engineer on the scene you have the best handle on the conditions.

I believe all the hand wringing about decay, shoring, corrosion are a little overdone & definitely  premature.

You did say it was a new building......how long in service?

To answer your initial question
>>>Does anyone know of a supplier of small analog barometer devices that I can use to monitor the humidity in the attic and building?<<<<

http://www.omega.com/

I have used them a lot for all sorts of instrumentation & transducers.

They have a wide range (cost & performance) of hydrometers. The recording type would be great for establsihing a record.  But thye

To answer your second question about a "post installed" vapor retarder........I assume you want something to go onto the GWB, behind it?

Here is an awesome product I discovered ~20 years ago.   I would suggest you research it with the tech experts at Rustoleum.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=102&SBL=2
http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/9100%20System_RO-51_2032990.pdf

a two coat application will get you down into the .5 perm range (or better)

But............. GWB is not a great substrate.   :(

IMO (if you get the ok from Rustoleum), used in conjuction with proper ventilation you might be able to get by without removing & replacing the ceiling

Since your talking about a large area, a test section would definitely be in order

But regular GWB over a pool doesn't sound like a good idea.

cheers
Bob