RE: Allowable Out-of-Plane Lateral Deflections of Masonry Veneers

Harold,

Assuming that we are talking elastic design, deflection is proportional to force and, wind force is proportional to the square of the wind speed. Using this logic this problem suggests that the 50-year wind speed would be just 10% more than a 10-year wind speed. Is that correct?

Rajendran

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
You have had many good responses already. Additionally, you may consider
using a 10 year wind for servicability as opposed to the 50 year wind used
for strength. Servicability should not use the same force level as is
required for strength. This will give you the accepted L/720 for the 10
year wind, and about L/600 for the 50 year wind.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Stuart, Matthew"
>Subject: Allowable Out-of-Plane Lateral Deflections of Masonry Veneers
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:45:50 -0500
>
>Back in the early 1980's I believe, when Architect's started to go with
>gage metal stud back up walls in lieu of CMU, the resulting flexibility
>of the metal studs resulted in a number of problems with masonry veneers
>primarily as a result of water infiltration through the mortar joints as
>the brick flexed to a point in which there was actual separation between
>the brick and the mortar at the joint interface. The metal stud industry
>and brick industry began pointing fingers at one another with the BIA
>responding with an H/600 criterion. Most design engineers at the time
>had trouble accepting this criterion because after all L/360 had worked
>for stucco finishes for some time. Never the less the H/600 got codified
>into ACI 530 which adopted the criteria for vertical deflection only.
>

>Does anyone have any insight into the current lack of connection between
>ACI 530 vertical deflection limitations and the current BIA
>recommendations for H/600 out-of-plane lateral deflection limitations?
>This is an issue because the ACI is a Code and the BIA provides
>recommendations only.
>

>D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., F.ASCE, SECB
>
>Senior Project Manager
>
>Structural Department
>
>Associate
>
>Schoor DePalma Engineers and Consultants
>
>200 State Highway Nine
>
>Manalapan, NJ 07726
>
>732-577-9000 (Ext. 1283)
>
>908-309-8657 (Cell)