RE: Steel floor plate

Bill,

A 1/4" floor plate welded to the supporting members spaced at 3.5ft to 4ft performs well in industrial situations. Roark talks about plates with deflections greater that 0.5t.

Bill

From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com [mailto:William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 6:31 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel floor plate

Actually my application "is" an industrial application - the plate will be used at a platform to be used regularly to access equipment.  I don't want the floor plate to feel excessively "bouncy", so I am trying to establish the criteria to use for deflection.  And I will need to justify this criteria to other reviewers.  It is not clear to me whether AISC's "deflection-controlled" table will accomplish this goal.

I currently plan to use criteria consistent with grating design based on historical practice.  However, this platform is movable, so we want to minimize its weight.  If I can justify less stringent criteria, then I could reduce the weight.

Bill Sherman
CH2M HILL / DEN
720-286-2792