Re: Concrete Veneer Sandwich Panel: Racking Shear Testing Protocol

Jim,

What you describe is a Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) system.  I happen
to work in the "SIP world", although I deal with wood based SIP panels
(OSB skins glued to EPS foam is the typical application).

At this time, wood based SIPs are tested/evaluated per ICC's Acceptance
Criteria AC04.  I believe that AC04 would potentially apply to concrete
based SIPs as well, but not completely sure.  In particular, it is
Appendix A that is to be used to evaluate SIPs for using in "high seismic"
areas (Seismic Design Categories D, E, and F).  There are two problems
though that might not make it too useful: 1) ICC-ES has decided that there
are still "issues" with Appendix A and as a result, they are going to
modify Appendix A (which is frustrating for the SIP industry because it
has taken a while to get to this point and some have done rather
significant testing per Appendix A including the company that I work
part-time for...but then it was some of this testing that brought to light
some of the issues); and 2) Appendix A was written with an eye toward wood
based SIPs, so I am not sure if ICC-ES intends for it to be used with
concrete based SIPs or not (it does appear to be written in such a generic
way that it potentially could, assuming that you can find an "equivalent"
system to do for the "matched" test similar to doing stick-framed tests
for wood based SIPs).

Regardless, more than like the loading protocol that is used in AC04 would
likely be required for shearwall tests of concrete based SIPs even if AC04
is not used since it is a rather "general" seismic based loading protocol
(i.e. number of cycles, drift limits, etc).  It is SEAOSC's "Standard
Method of Cyclic (Reversed) Test for Shear Resistance of Framed Wall for
Buildings".  It was basically taken over by ASTM as ASTM E2126, but has
changed somewhat from what SEAOSC has.  It is also mainly aimed at wood
based shearwalls, but does have a loading protocol that could be used for
cyclic testing of other walls.

I see that others have pointed you to some folks that specifically have
dealt some with this issue.  You might also contact SIPA, the trade group
for SIPs (www.sips.org).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI