RE: Steel floor plate

Title: Re: Steel floor plate
True, but for a small plate area I would say that the 100 psf live load is "representative" of the mass.  For my 4-ft span example, I also checked the simple span for a 300-lb concentrated load and found the deflection to be about the same as for the 100 psf uniform load.  I do think that a 300-lb concentrated load is a more accurate representation of the mass of a worker plus tributary mass of the plate.  For a larger floor area, I would agree that a uniform live load likely would not represent actual mass.

From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wed 3/14/2007 12:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel floor plate

On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:02 AM, <William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, the 1/4-in maximum deflection under a 100 psf live load
> appears to provide an easy criterion with reasonable results.
Be careful you don't confuse live load and mass--live load may comprise
some mass but it's not necessarily all mass. The frequency of your
floor will depend on the mass (including that of the floor itself)
carried by the floor under any given condition.
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/