20 year wood study question

March 14, 2007

Re:  Trying to find documents about wood stress reduction

I am trying to locate information that is relatated to a 20 year study done
on available wood used in construction and which was used in either the 1991
or 1994 UBC to reduce bending and shear values in the code. I know this goes
back to the mid to late 90's but I am in need of a summary of the study and
can't recall if it was done by the Forest Products Lab, AF&PA or AITC. Those
of you in California may recall that the summary indicated that mature
Douglas Fir harvested since the study started in the late 60's or early 70's
concluded that choice lumber was no longer as plentiful as it had been. The
1994 UBC (if I recall) reduced material stresses or possibly the Modulus of
Elasticity for lumber and also introduced more finger-jointed lumber into
construction for stud use.

I can't recall where the study originated and would like to find a copy for
reference. I remember that we discussed it for a while on the SEAINT List
and it may have not have been adopted until the 97 UBC was codified.

If anyone has the document or any information that can lead me to the 20
year study, please let me know by e-mailing me privately or by posting back
on this list.

Thank you in advance,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/07)

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return
the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.