Re: Punching Shear Reinforcing Cutoff Distance

Will, I agree with you.  The shear calcs must take account of the moment.  Actually, I wonder why the examples you will find in most concrete manuals don't also take account of the floor loads (dead and live) that fall within the shear perimeter where you want to discontinue the shear reinforcement.  Probably because of the added complexity.  But once you develop the spreadsheet to take account of these loads, (they reduce the calculated shear at the perimeter), it is no longer complex.

The shear around the perimeter is basically caused by the floor loads over the tributary area around the column (plus the moment in the column).  For the calcs at d/2 from the face of the column, virtually all of that floor load causes shear at the perimeter.  But if you extend that perimeter to some distance from the column, then some of that floor load is now within the shear perimeter, and is not transmitted to the column by shear at the perimeter.

KB