From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com [mailto:William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel floor plate

Based on the responses received, I've developed the followng information:

Say span = 4 ft = 48 inches.  Per the AISC deflection controlled tables, a 3/8-in plate can carry 127 psf.  The calculated deflection is 0.48-in. Recommendations have been made to keep the natural frequency above 5 Hz, or better yet above 11 Hz.  So check the natural frequency for a 0.48-in deflection:

Use f = (g/d)^0.5/(2*pi) to estimate natural frequency, where:  g = 32.2 ft/s^2 = 386 in/s^2;  d = deflection of beam = 0.48-in;  so natural frequency f = 4.51 Hz, less than 5 Hz.

Try grating criteria of 1/4" deflection under 100 psf live load:  for d = 0.25-in, f = 6.25 Hz, greater than 5 hz.

If we try for f = 11 Hz, then d(max) = 0.08-in; thus, a much thicker / stiffer plate would be requried - does not appear to be practical.

It has been suggested that a 1/4-in plate is suitable for a 4-ft span.  Check deflection and frequency under a 300-lb concentrated load:
d = 1.53-in, f = 2.53 Hz;  deflection is excessive and frequency is too low.

Check the 1/4-in plate for a two-way simply supported span under a uniform load of 100 psf:
d = 0.36-in, f = 5.20 Hz;  meets 5 Hz frequency.

If plate is continuous vs simply supported, the 1/4-in plate is reasonable for 4-ft span each way, but a 1/4-in plate does not appear to be good for a simple span of 4-ft.

In my opinion, the 1/4-in maximum deflection under a 100 psf live load appears to provide an easy criterion with reasonable results.