RE: 20 year wood study question

Dennis,

The Breyer et al textbook refers to the "In-Grade Testing Program" and
mentions it as being done in 1978.  The reason for it was that all the old
values were based soley on testing of small samples of wood.  The
In-Grade Test program tested actual pieces of dimension lumber (2xs etc).
The Breyer book offers that the program tested about 73000 pieces of
full-sized Dimensional lumber in bending, tension, and compression
parallel to grain.  Here is a quote from the text:

"The objective of the In-Grade Testing Program was to verify the
published design values that had been determined using the
clear-wood strength method.  Although some of the values from the
In-Grade Testing Program were close, there were enough differences between
the In-Grade results and the clear-wood strength values that a new method
of determining allowable stress properties was developed.  These
procedures are given in ASTM Standard D 1990."

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI