RE: Bracing in a Freezer Building

Most freezer structures are constructed as a “box-in-a-box”. A stand alone conventional structural steel frame surrounded on all sides (underfloor, walls and roof) by an insulation and vapor barrier envelope.  Multiple room structures (i.e. rooms requiring different operating temperatures) must be designed and constructed as individual stand alone frames separated by the insulation/vapor barrier envelopes, even if the rooms are entirely interior spaces.  As a result each stand alone “box” must be capable of providing its own lateral stability, although there are some ways used to get around this problem, particularly at refrigerated dock structures, where small through-wall ties are used at opposing column locations.

Other box-in-box options include a conventional PEMB exterior structure and cladding surrounding an insulation/vapor barrier box.

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department

Associate

200 State Highway Nine