RE: Bracing in a Freezer Building

This is an extremely large freezer building you are describing.  Most facilities of this size would consist of individual rooms within the footprint of the building operating at different temperatures. As a minimum I would think that you are going to have to provide some overall building expansion joints for a structure of this size which is not going to be practical from an insulation/vapor barrier envelope stand point if your structure is internal to the freezer box. If the structure is external to the freezer box then you shouldn’t have the thermal differentials you described in your email.

For structures which are internal to the freezer box, it has been my experience that considerations for temperature differences between the time of erection and the operating temperature of the refrigerated space are not taken into account. I have never seen any problems in a conventional framed, braced steel structure as a result of your concerns.  I think this is primarily because the column bases are thermally isolated from the foundations via oak blocks (old school) or non-compressible insulation.

There are many specialty details that are required for a freezer structure, particularly when the steel frame is internal to the refrigerated space (as opposed to a PEMB or conventional frame external to the freezer box).  If this is your first freezer facility I suggest that you step back and get familiar with the industry standard details.  I don’t  know of any reference books out there that discuss the subject and although there are a number of design build and A/E firms out there with a significant amount of experience they are probably only going to interested in helping you out if they get a piece of the pie.

If this is your first freezer then I would be more than glad to share with you some of my typical details for everything from how to handle bollards to extensions of the underfloor slab insulation at freezer/dock doors, etc.

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department

Associate

200 State Highway Nine