Re: New Torsion Design Method (PCI Journal)

I would like to read more on this. Did you happen to have these papers in PDF format? And what was the maximum torque? Uniform torque throughout or concentrated, tapered?

----- Original Message ----
From: Wontae Kim <Wontae.Kim(--nospam--at)unistresscorp.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org.
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 9:42:00 AM
Subject: New Torsion Design Method (PCI Journal)

Hi!

Three papers about torsion design of precast concrete L-shaped spandrels were released

in March-April, PCI Journal.

5' tall, 8" thick and 30.5ft/45.5ft long spandrels with continuous ledge were tested by Dr. Zia's NC state univ team.

 (Design load: 60ft long double tee (0.718 k/ft), live load=40psf, snow load=30psf)

They conclude that closed stirrups are not needed for torsion!

This is completely different from conventional spandrel design method.

Another paper prepared by Dr. Hassan seems to say this new concept can be applied

 to  regular precast beams like 16"x28" (L=45ft).

I wonder how many of engineers agree with this new approach, 'feasibility of using open web reinforcement.'

How much impact will these papers give to cast-in-place concrete torsion design (ACI)?

I am looking forward to your comments.

****Wontae Kim****
Unistress Corp.
Pittsfield, MA 01201