From: "Mark L. Puccio" <mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Crack next to wall control joint
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:51:17 -0500

For exposed concrete walls - basement, retaining etc. we typically show
control joints at 25ft or 30ft oc. Our detail shows the horizontal wall
reinforcing stopping each side of the joint, the joint is to be notched one
fourth the wall depth from each side of the wall with chamfered corners then
filled with caulk. We also show smooth greased dowel rods in the center of
the wall to try to maintain wall alignment.

Using this detail we have a project where we have a vertical crack about one
foot or so from the CJ. Our client would like an explanation. Besides the
possibility of the wall reinforcing not stopping at the joint or the
concrete just not being as smart as it should be - can any of you provide
any insight or into what might be going on? Does our detail sound like a
typical detail you use or do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks

Mark L. Puccio P.E., S.E.