From: dtopete(--nospam--at)gfdseng.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05 rho
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:08:37 -0700

Jake,

My guess, since I don’t have a copy of ASCE 7-05 or 2006 IBC yet, is that if you remove one of 4 walls, it would result in a 33% reduction in strength.  Less redundant system, hence higher value of rho = 1.3.

WRT story height, wouldn’t the height h be the story height, or the height at which the wall is braced laterally and/or the height at which there would be lateral load being transferred to the wall?

Congrats on the “SE.”  Haven’t seen that until now.

David A. Topete, SE