AISC Single Plate Connection load tables

I am currently trying to compare my connection calculations toTable 10-9 in the LRFD 3rd editions steel manual.  My numbers match pretty well on most plate connection with 5 or greater bolts.  However, on less than 5 bolts my numbers are higher than the table.  I have checked all the limit states that AISC lists that are considered for the table (bolt shear, bolt bearing on the plate, shear yielding of the plate, shear rupture of the plate, block shear rupture of the plate, weld shear, and flexure of the plate from the eccentricity) including prying action on the welds.  For example the table lists 2 3/4" dia. A325-N bolts, flexible connection, standard holes, 1/4 plate thickness (AISC specifies a = 3 and edge distance = 1.5 for these connections so assuming plate is 6x4.5x1/4), 3/16” fillet weld.  The table lists this 2 bolt connection strength as 14.0k no matter what size weld or plate thickness is used.  This make me think that the bolts are controlling but the bolt allowable shear value for 3/4” diameter bolts is 15.9 k/bolt.  Can anyone tell me what the controlling failure mode is for this connection or if I am missing something.

Jeff Hedman , E.I.T.

L.R. Pope Engineers & Surveyors, Inc.

1240 East 100 South Suite # 15B

St. George, Utah  84790