RE: wet signature in CALIF

March 21, 2007

Dear David,

I rarely ever wet sign a first submittal. I want to avoid the wrong set of drawings from appearing in the field and I also want to make sure that I get paid for my work. I know of now requirement that a wet signature be provided on a submittal – especially in the B&P code since it would be regulated in the Building Code for submittals. The B&P code regulates who can practice rather than what is required to obtain a permit.

B&P covers the requirements to practice. The use of a wet stamp may be mentioned as to who may wet seal drawings (whether it is the person the license is issued to or another individual working for him or her) and who can be authorized to act in his behalf to sign if he is unavailable (with approval). The signature is still considered the name of the individual the license is issue to and all assumptions still stand that the holder of the stamp have full authority and knowledge of the design rather than to allow the seal to be used indescriminatly.

This is a legal issue but I also suppose that the requirements for submittal and wet signing can be modified to be part of the city’s muncipal code.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/07)

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.