RE: Analysis of Beam in xls format

Why not try www.woodworks-software.com, and look at the Sizer module,
which can be purchased as a stand-alone software.  It will print a 1-2
page report for you, which can be handed in to the building official.
You can check out the demo at:
http://www.cwc.ca/WoodWorks%20Software/US%20Version/Software%20Demo%20Do
wnloads?Language=EN

Even if you are not designing a wood member, the analysis of the beam is
done for you.

Robert J. Jonkman, P.Eng.
Manager, Structural Engineering
Canadian Wood Council