stacked joist members

Dear List:
I?ve just seen floor joists comprised of two members
(each 1¾ ? x 3 ¾? ) stacked on their narrow edges in
an old house being renovated. The entire floor (joist
span 12?, o/c=16?)  is made up of these joists. They
don?t appear to be fastened and the mating line
between members is hard to detect.  Can this
arrangement be considered as a single 1¾ ? x 7½ ?
member?
Thanks,
Irv

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate