Metal siding and roofing as a diaphragm

Title: Metal siding and roofing as a diaphragm

Jim,

I worked for a wood post-frame building manufacturer direct out of college about 17 years ago.  They had  performed proprietary testing on their own assemblies to determine the diaphragm capacity of pre-formed metal siding and roofing as installed on their systems.  I have no data to back it up, but from memory I believe the capacity as installed on their system was approx. 139 plf - just slightly greater then gypsum at the time (100 plf).  Since then there have been significant changes in the codes and I am not sure what they do now, especially in high seismic regions.  If the manufacturer is known, you may want to contact them and see if they are willing to share that information.

Jared F. Keyser, P.E.
Anchorage, AK