Re: Ice Melt Mat

Paul-

I have no direct experience with these systems but after reading

http://www.tycothermal.com/assets/Americas/English/Document/Installation%20Operation%20and%20Maintenance%20Manuals/3504/H57754_SMIO.pdf

they seem difficult & problematic wrt to installation, use & maint.

IMO  your concern of a failure plane in your slab is well founded

I would suggest getting the slab to figure without the concrete above the melt mat (ie make the slab at least 2" thicker)

it's your stamp on the plans & it will be your headache when problems develop.  :(

the melt mat folks have tech support, give them a call.

Additionally I would suggest consultation with an ice melt design / installation expert,   there appear to be a lot of important details that both the SE & the ice melt installation need to consider for an elevated slab

A slab on grade installation is scary enough, an elevated slab would really make me nervous.

cheers
Bob