RE: Geotech reports

Thanks to all who responded.  Very enlightening.

Al

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 12:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Geotech reports

Mark Gilligan wrote:

" Your General Notes or other specifications should not
require that work be done in accordance with the
Geotechnical Report.  That issue is addressed in the
Earthwork Specifications."

----

A lot of projects I do are small or are residences and the Architect does not generate a separate set of specifications. We refer to the soils report, provide the Soils Engineer's name, contact information, report/file number, and structural design criteria on the general notes. We direct the contractor to follow the recommendations of the soils engineer and soils report and usually the soils engineer is required to be on-site during the foundation work.

I don't see how transposing 38 pages of text, maps, boring logs onto the structural drawings is practical on projects like this.

-gm