Re: Geotech reports

The lat time I saw anybody placing boring logs on the
drawings was in 1972 or 73.  My employer made me do
it.

You definitely do not want to reproduce the contents
of the geotech report on your drawings, that is why we
have copiers.  You want to disassociate yourself from
the geotechnical work as much as practical.

The problem with telling the Contractor to comply with
the Geotech Report is because this makes it fairly
easy for the Contractor to claim an extra when the
Geotech tells him to fix something.

If your primary concern has to do with bearing values
for a spread footing on fairly good soil maybe there
is little risk especially if the Geotech inspects the
excavation.

I believe the solution is to 1) either have the
Geotech draft the notes to be placed on your drawings
or have him prepare separate specs for the earthwork.
In either case the Geotech needs to be involved in
preparing the contract documents.

I also appreciate the fact that plan checkers will
often require a note saying that the work be done in
accordance with the Geotech Report.  You may have
little choice but to comply but plan checkers have
also been wrong before.