Re: Ice Melt Mat

Sorry about the delay Paul, I was waiting for the MEP engineer to get back to me.  He gave me the following reference to the product he specified in a recent job with me.  We haven't got to the work site with it yet.
It is a water system, pumping heated water through a 1/2"ID pipe attached to the wire mesh in a 4" concrete slab on Hambro joists.

The installation handbook is here :

http://www.roth-usa.com/usa/pdf/Snowmelt_Installer_Handbook.pdf

The MEP eng. says they almost always attach it to a wire mesh, even in a reinforced slab, to ensure that the conduits remain where you want them during the pour.

A wire mesh is more economical than a second pour for a topping.  In a reinforced slab, I would probably try to find a way to use the wire mesh only in areas where the reinforcement is not convenient for attaching.

I notice that Google gives a lot of hits for snowmelt systems, and I wonder if your system is similar...

Kevin