From: Andrew Kester, PE [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 6:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: re: new PE forming partnership

You said that the company that is offering you partnership delivers architectural plans. Are they full blown licensed architects, or just CAD techs that perform architectural services? The reason I ask is around here there are several "Drafting Services" that are fairly knowledgeable CAD techs/ designers but are not licensed architects. They mainly do residential drawings and in FL you need a PE or licensed AIA to sign and seal the drawings. They then look for someone to review, sign, and seal, usually for such a small fee that leads me to believe it is glorified plan stamping. But as an engineer you are signing and sealing the whole set. Now I have picked up a lot about architecture over the years, I worked in an arch and eng office for the first half of my career, but that does not sit right with me. I am OK with an occasional flashing detail or gyp board call out on my small projects, but anything beyond that I don't like to pretend to be an architect. That is just me, and everyone has their own abilities, skill set, and judgment to make.

I would just ask a lot of questions about what kind of services they provide, what projects they do, and what your expected role would be. Also, why are they so eager to jump into a partnership with a brand new PE and not a more seasoned veteran? I am not doubting your abilities just perhaps their intentions...

Good Luck, and definitely involve a lawyer as someone suggested for the business aspects.

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL