Re: Stone house

My only comments are that the IBC only recognizes (rubble) stone walls of a minimum 16" thickness, but there are empirical values for stress. Unfortunately, empirical design cannot be used for SDC D/E/F, and can't be used for seismic force resisting systems in SDC B/C. That's pretty restrictive for an "all" stone house.

Jordan

Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
Fellow listers,
I was asked yesterday by a regular client if I could design a stone house for him-field stone. Give him credit, he also asked if he should build a house out of stone. This is new to me and I wonder if anyone out there has any words of wisdom or warning.
Gary