From: Robert Kazanjy [mailto:rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 4:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: curved wood sw

David-

There was a thread on this topic back in May '06 but not much useful info in it.

I am not aware of any technical papers on the subject...maybe APA can shed some light on the subject.

At the time, I asked the OP

How "curved" is your shear wall?  Radius of curvature?  10'  100'   1000'?   Building approx foot print?

Could you "linearize" the problem? That is, could each 8' or 16' segment be considered "straight"?

IMO the key to your design solution is a diaphragm that is quite rigid in both directions, esp in the location where the shear wall attaches to the diaphragm.

<<<<<<<<<

Addtionally, a top & bottom plate that "encompasses" the wall curvature would be very helpful....ie a very wide plate made of engineered wood or plywood.

a few years ago I made a curved (~12' radius) raised platform....... really a box beam about 12" wide, 16" deep & ~ 20 feet long.

I skinned it (sides) with relatively thin material (door skin), the curved top & bottom plates were cut from 3/4" plywood, 3/4 ply vertical ribs were placed ~ 16" o/c

The resulting assembly was incredibly rigid

Not exactly a shear wall.....but pretty close.

cheers
Bob