Base Plate Steel TIPS Report -Needs your input with appreciation

Dear Friends in Seaint: I am writing a Steel TIPS (Technical Information and Product Services ) report for SSEC (Structural Steel Educational Council) on the Behavior and Design of Base Plates for Steel Concentrically Braced Frames with focus on seismic+gravity effects. Seismic codes have very limited provisions and guidelines on this very important component. I am writing to seek your input and comments on any aspect of behavior, design, detailing and fabrication of base plates. I am particularly interested in your opinion on what are the most pressing issues and questions on the seismic design and fabrication of base plates (both for braced frames and moment frames) that need to be addressed?

I have learned tremendously from the Seaint exchanges over the years and while thanking you for sharing your knowledge with others, I appreciate your time in reading this e-mail and also for providing me with your comments if you get a chance and find the time. You can send your comments, good details that you use in your practice and any other comment on the base plate design and detailing to me directly at astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu. If you like to fax details or other document, or to speak with me, you can use my home office fax and phone: (925) 946-0903.

If I use any information you provide, I will acknowledge and credit your input properly and send the acknowledgment part for your approval before posting the Steel TIPS on the http:www.steeltips.org.

Best wishes and thank you again.
"Hassan"
Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
Structural Engineering , Mechanics and Materials,
Department of Civil and Env. Engineering
University of California, Berkeley, CA, 94720-1710
Phone and Fax; (925) 946-0903

"Everything should be made simple, but not Simpler. (Albert Einstein)"
"The only really valuable thing is Intuition. (Albert Einstein)"
Both from: http://ezinearticles.com/?Did-Einstein-Really-Say-All-That?&id=313972