RE: Frank Woeste, SE PhD - on Virgina Tech Campus where student opens fire this morning.

Prof Woeste was not on campus when the shooting occurred.  As many alumni, I’m anxiously awaiting additional news.

Tom

From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 12:54
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; fwoeste(--nospam--at)vt.edu
Subject: Frank Woeste, SE PhD - on Virgina Tech Campus where student opens fire this morning.

Monday, April 16, 2007

There was a tragedy at Virginia Tech where a student went on a shooting rampage in Norris and Holden Hall. 30+ people were killed including the shooter as CNN speculated. Frank Woeste, SE PhD is an educator in Holden Hall (the Science and Engineering Building) and was supposed to be retiring but I e-mailed with him a month ago to find out he is still on campus. The school is locked down at this time and everyone has left campus. I’m trying to find out if Frank is okay as well as each of the others in the Science and Engineering building. I’ve known many people from VT over the last 10 or so years due to their important work in wood design. I have been friends with Frank for as long and am worried that he may have been in the Engineering building at the time the shooter went wild.  I am concerned for each life but my fear is greatest for those I personally and Frank has become a friend for many years now.

Frank! If you should read this today, please let us know that you are safe. I’m sending this to your department e-mail address and through the list. If you are home, you may think to check in to let each of us know that you are safe. Please use this resource if you have access from home.

I’ve watched closely the work that comes out of the VT Engineering department for many years since this is my specalty area. This led me to Frank as well as Dan Dolan (who is now in the Seattle area). Frank was supposed to have retired, but someone I know told me he was at either the Univ. of Wisconsin in Madison or at the Forest Product Assoc. in Madison. Frank wrote me back to tell me he was still at VT in Virginia. If anyone has information post it on this list since I am not the only one who may be concerned with Frank and the others.

Again, as reported by CNN a student went on a shooting rampage inside of Norris and Holden Hall. I believe Holden Hall is the Science and Engineering Building. One of these to building is the Engineering Department as reported. At least 30+ (no breakdown of students and faculty) were killed and I do not know how many injured. It is being reported was the worst case of violence ever on a college campus in our history. My thoughts are with all of the students – especially those I know and am anxious about.

Our thoughts are with Frank and all of the students through this tragic time, but if anyone knows Frank and has been in phone contact with him, please let all of us know as soon as you can confirm that he is safe.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/09)

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.