Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: SHOOTINGS[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Re: SHOOTINGS
- From: Gil Brock <gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com>
- Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:48:43 +1000
I hope you do not base you engineering on chain letters as you have based the statistics quoted below.
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/australiaguns.html gives a copy of the chain letter which contains these misquoted "statistics" and the real story as well.
For example the 300% increase in home robberies was actually supposed to be homicides in one state, from 7 to 19 in one year (not actually 300% but who cares about bad math if it helps the story). But that is the state in Australia that has the most organised crime problems and there were several tit-for-tat killings in those years. As the article commenting on the chain letter says
"An increase from 7 to 14 is only 100% and is hardly compelling. Population increase alone could account for the higher number. Regardless, in the United States - where most major cities have 7-14 homicides in a month - we would kill (pun intended) for crime rates that low. "
At 01:20 PM 20/04/2007, you wrote:
Australia's honest law abiding people surrendered all their fire arms as their government demanded approximately 2 years ago and last reports indicated that armed home robberies were up 300%. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and as long as it still takes 30 minutes or more for the police to respond to a breaking and entering, I am 100% behind the right to bear arms.
- ----- Original Message -----
- From: ASC
- To: Struct EngAssoc
- Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:43 AM
- Subject: SHOOTINGS
- The rest of civilized world never ceases to be amazed
- with America's love affair with guns.
- And with America's unwillingness to do anything about it.
- 36,000 people are dying each year this way, most by accidents.
- That deranged individual was not a criminal by design, was he?
- Did the accessibility of guns made the world safer for him or anyone else?
- Tell me more about the blessing of firearms...
- About the freedom it brings...
- About safety and security...
- And how it limits the powers of the government...
- And how it protects from communists...
- Do you really believe in this?
- As a young engineer in So Cal I once met an older engineer, who did.
- Sincerely, Gregory from Oz
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd. (ABN 84 003 163 586)
5 Cameron Street Beenleigh Qld 4207 Australia
Ph +61 7 3807 8022
- Prev by Subject: Re: SHOOTINGS
- Next by Subject: Re: SHOOTINGS
- Previous by thread: Re: SHOOTINGS
- Next by thread: Re: SHOOTINGS