http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/australiaguns.html gives a copy of the chain letter which contains these misquoted "statistics" and the real story as well.

For example the 300% increase in home robberies was actually supposed to be homicides in one state, from 7 to 19 in one year (not actually 300% but who cares about bad math if it helps the story). But that is the state in Australia that has the most organised crime problems and there were several tit-for-tat killings in those years. As the article commenting on the chain letter says

"An increase from 7 to 14 is only 100% and is hardly compelling. Population increase alone could account for the higher number. Regardless, in the United States - where most major cities have 7-14 homicides in a month - we would kill (pun intended) for crime rates that low. "

At 01:20 PM 20/04/2007, you wrote:
Australia's honest law abiding people surrendered all their fire arms as their government demanded approximately 2 years ago and last reports indicated that armed home robberies were up 300%.  Guns don't kill people, people kill people and as long as it still takes 30 minutes or more for the police to respond to a breaking and entering, I am 100% behind the right to bear arms.

R.S.
----- Original Message -----
From: ASC
To: Struct EngAssoc
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:43 AM
Subject: SHOOTINGS

The rest of civilized world never ceases to be amazed
with America's love affair with guns.

And with America's unwillingness to do anything about it.

36,000 people are dying each year this way, most by accidents.

That deranged individual was not a criminal by design, was he?

Did the accessibility of guns made the world safer for him or anyone else?

Tell me more about the blessing of firearms...

About the freedom it brings...

About safety and security...

And how it limits the powers of the government...

And how it protects from communists...

Do you really believe in this?

As a young engineer in So Cal I once met an older engineer, who did.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz

Regards  Gil Brock
Ph +61 7 3807 8022               Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:            gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:         http://www.raptsoftware.com