    *From:* Paul Blomberg <mailto:paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
    *To:* seaint <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:56 PM
    *Subject:* Gantry Crane Rail Blockout

    I've got a client that wants to incorporate a 'future' 20 ton
    gantry crane into their manufacturing facility.  I was envisioning
    a block out in the slab on ground that is removed and the rail set
    in the block out, leveled, plumbed and polyurethane fill cast
    around the rail to set it in place.  This detail is used locally
    as part of the light rail commuter transit system.
Others in my office are voting for an embedded plate in the bottom
    of the block out with the rail ultimately welded to the embed
    plate.  My concern with this approach is alignment and elevation
    tolerance.  I know from experience that embedded plates don't get
    the same close tolerances that a rail support needs.  Also, with
    the future installation of the rail and crane, the General
    Contractor may not meet the strict tolerances for the rail and the
    owner might suffer later during rail installation.
As another alternative I was thinking that I could use rail clamps
    and concrete anchors and shim to the proper elevation.  I'm
looking for your input and alternatives. Additionally, does anyone ever provide drainage in the annulus
    next to the rail.  This gantry crane travels from outside the
    building into the building.
Your thoughts are appreciated. Paul.