RE: SHOOTINGS

Monday, April 23, 2007

 Ray,
I don't particularly see a need to apologize for speaking out on issues that
affect us all. As I stated before, we should not be politicizing this act
but rather able to discuss it as protection of humanitarian. There are
several things that can be done legally to protect the rights of gun owners,
and to help mitigate the illegal use of weapons. I agree that while
"criminals" are not likely to register weapons, there is a need in every
state to insure that a weapon has a unique signature (other than barrel
matching to the rounds) that leads to a document identifying the responsible
owner of the weapon (whether he or she is involved in the illegal use or
not). So the issue becomes a legal rather than political matter to create
tremendously greater penalties for those who commit a crime with an
unregistered weapon as well as the casual owner of a weapon who either loses
the weapon or does not secure it against theft or use by another family
member that leads to a crime. There should be no second chance for the use
of a weapon (any weapon including knives) in a criminal act. If the killer
took his life, then his family should be tried to acertain their
responsibilty in the act of his or her growth that led to the illegal use of
the weapon. For example, the student at VT had a history since childhood of
some psychological behaviour that was recent enough to have prevented his
ownership and registration of a hand gun. In this case, he legally
registered the weapons and his state of mind was never considered to be
released to any agency that might have prevented him from obtaining the
weapons. This could simply be a federal registry or database - after all,
there is one already on each of use that approprate agencies can access to
verify existing conditions for evaluation of health insurance. In fact, most
of our personal records that companies use for billing charges are already
in the hands of outsourced labor in India and China. While we claim to
respect the privacy of medical records, there is no actual protection in
countries such as India or China to respect our laws. This was proven true
by the letters many of us received from investment houses, credit companies
and even medical billing that found violations of privacy in the outsourcing
of labor to other countries. We also know that it is difficult to protect
Copyrights of software products in these countries when knock-offs or
pirated media is made available at a fraction of the price.
Read Thomas Friedman's book "The Earth is Flat" to understand how negatively
(in the readers eyes) Globalization is affecting us. Friedman takes the
other side of the argument, disregarding the effect on US Labor and Services
but praises the world growth in underdeveloped countries by the outsourcing
of labor that benefits American's who have the assets to invest by
continuint to draw higher profit margins each year.
These same methods that we protect, can be accessed by Homeland Security to
insure the safety of Americans by reducing the illegal use of weapons and by
making the capture of anyone without a licensed weapon a federal or local
offence with a mandatory minimum of say 10-years in jail and life on a
second office - worse if used in the act of a crime. Strong mandatory
sentencing is one way to protect the legal ownership of handguns and
protects the constitutional rights, but it helps to slowly mitigate the
illegal use by taking the offenders off the street.
Where we put them for 10 or more years is another problem that needs to be
addressed and how we use them to pay for their own incarceration is another
issue.

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant
C-41250 (Exp. 3/31/07)
dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net
http://structuralist.spaces.live.com

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return
the original message to us at the above e-mail. Thank you.