Re: SHOOTINGS

Gerard-

Perhaps you are missing the point.......................

"The point is, concealed weapons for everyone for personal protection at all times, is not a good solution because it's easily misused or could have very bad unintended consequences"

Many states have liberalized CCW  laws and blood hasn't run in the streets.

The fact is......most people don't / won't carry.

Plus in Vermont you can carry legally by just putting it in your pocket....again blood doesn't run in the streets

Having CCW available puts the bad guys at a distinct disadvantage....they don't know who's carrying.

It's the "halo effect"

To the rest of us, it doesn't matter....we have no intention of doing anyone harm.

Like the T-shirt....." I carry a gun four  days a week,  you guess which four"   :)

The bad guys  tend to shift from crimes against people to crimes against property,  IMO a much better situation since the chance of injury to the good guy

if you're really interested in seeing the data go to

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime

and  take a look at assault, rape & murder rates (per capita)

I believe you'll see that crime rates do not correlate well with gun control or lack thereof....perhaps they might even be inversely correlated.

btw if you think about it.........the increased use of car alarms  resulted in a rise in  carjackings   :)

society, crime, gun control are not a zero sum game; there are complex interactions that will yield negative unintended consequences

when the "war on drugs" yields net positive results sign me up for the "war on guns"............

of course, that is, after the repeal of the 2nd amendment.

cheers
Bob